Innovative Marine - Filter Socks
These filter socks work with almost any sump system with the standard 4in circular opening. These sock have 200 micron pore size and are about 12 inches long.
Rivers to Reef says: These filter socks are an excellent economical choice if you don't like having to go through the process of washing your socks. We have used these in Innovative Marine tanks and Eshopps tanks and they fit. The actual opening (outside) diameter of the sock is 4.125 inches, with the lip being about 0.125 inches.
Cleaning Filter Socks: There are several ways to clean your filter socks. We always recommend having two sets of socks (so that could mean having two or it could mean having four). Having two sets allows you to swap out the dirty set for a clean set without having to leave your tank without water flow for a while.
- Turn off your return pumps and allow the excess water in the tank to flow into the sump. Once the flow of water stops, you can pull your socks out.
- I usually rinse them in the sink before I proceed to the next step, but you do you.
- We use a 9 parts water to 1 part bleach solution to clean our socks. We soak them for 24 hours in the 10% bleach solution, then rinse the heck out of them. If your socks are exceptionally dirty you might have to redo the soak.
- After the rinsing you will want to refill your container with clean water and use about 50 gallons worth of your favorite dechlorinator per gallon of water. Let them sit in this overnight.
- Rinse the sock out really well and give it the smell test. If it still smells like bleach you are going to have to soak it again in the dechlorinator.
Why do we use this method? We do not have the patience to stand there with a high powered hose and blast the socks into submission. We also feel like this can break down the sock faster. We do not like using the washing machine either because it might have detergent residue that we would rather not worry about. The bleach method means we control everything.